Big Sandy, Texas, March 11-14, 2021
Seventy fathers and sons came together to spend time serving side by side at the International ALERT
Academy (IAA). While some arrived Thursday, most arrived on Friday, March 12th, which was the
originally posted start date.
There were 3 service times, each 3 hours in duration: Friday morning, Friday
afternoon, and Saturday morning. The service work completed included the following.
• Assembling over 7500 pamphlets of John and Romans in various languages
• Weeding and mulching flowerbeds around the Administration Building
• Line trimming beneath the barbed-wire fence along White Oak Road on faculty row
• Demolition of closets in Pine Lodge cabins in preparation for remodeling carpentry
• Demolition of collapsed barn on East Cowlicks Road
• Clearing and opening storm drains around dormitories
• Raking and bagging leaves around dormitories
• Straighten fence posts and removal of electric wiring on horse corral fences
• Painting replacement fence posts and benches
• Repairing picnic tables
Group teaching included the Friday and Saturday morning wisdom searches led by Capt. Terry Williams
on the lesson of the two sons, David and the Prodigal’s brother. David’s humility and servant’s heart in
2 Samuel 17:58 was highlighted. Mr. Jeremy Shelton, author of Unmuzzled, gave a talk Saturday night
on “getting away without getting caught” and the danger of hidden sin.
Saturday morning the fathers and cadets joined with the ALERT men on a short Jody run. One of the
Jody callers was ALERT guest Ken Bevel, a former Marine Corps Captain, pastor and actor who co-starred
in the 2008 film Fireproof and the 2011 film Courageous. Ken also brought the message on Sunday
I conclude this report with a memorable moment during assembly for final inspection Sunday morning. I
watched as a young son reached up and hugged his father. That summarizes the heart and focus of this
camp, turning the hearts of fathers to their sons and sons to their fathers.
Maj. ALERT Cadet